Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hyderabad Weekend Getaway: Raichur

Raichur is about 220 KMs away from Hyderabad. When I was doing the planning for the trip, I didn’t find much interesting about this town. However, one thing that really interested me was the Power Plant situated near Raichur. Since, I had never seen a power plant, I decided to visit this town.
Places of Interest: Raichur Power Station, Raichur Fort, Tungabadra River
Route Map: Hyderabad – Jadcharla (NH7) – Mahboobnagar – Raichur
We started the journey at 8:00 AM, reached Jadcharla at around 9:30 AM. Had breakfast at a Munawar dhaba outside of Jadcharla. It’s a good place for non-veg food. This dhaba also has well maintained ladies toilets. Started at 10:00 AM after having breakfast… reach Raichur at 12:30 PM.
Raichur Power Station: After reaching the power plant, I found that outsiders/tourists are not allowed inside the plant.
image
IMG_5795
image
Ruins of 13th century Raichur fort: Actually, there is nothing left to see in this fort. In fact, when I asked the people in the town about the fort, they were surprised that I have come all the way from Hyderabad to see this fort. Anyhow, after a bit of searching the route to the fort, I was able to find the few ruins of once a large fort.
image
image
image
Tungabadra River: This was completely unplanned activity. There was a small passage from the main road that led to the river. You would find lot of kids catching fishes at this river. Fortunately, the flow of the river was pretty smooth… so spent sometime playing with the river water.
image
image
image
image
After relaxing for a while at the banks of Tungabadra river, we started the return journey to Hyderabad at 6:30 PM. Reached Hyderabad by 9:30 PM.

No comments: